Thursday, January 9, 2014

Rocky Road Cookies




This post is for the January Behind the Curtain Dessert Challenge! Every month Miss Sheryl @ The Lady Behind the Curtain hosts this amazing challenge.  We are given two ingredients to work with and then we must create a dessert using those ingredients.  Fabulous I know! Who can say no to desserts?

I was struggling to come up with what I was going to make for January using Chocolate Pudding or Cocoa and Marshmallows.  I've already made S'More's Cookies but those don't have pudding or cocoa... Then I was thinking Fudge, but that's Marshmallow creme not true marshmallows.  Then I was trying to justify still making fudge thinking it was close enough to work, but I still wasn't sure so I kept thinking... One of my all time favorite things as a kid was Rocky Road ice cream.  Perfect! I had a winner.  

Then I ran into two problems.  I didn't have any cream, and I really wanted Rocky Road right away. As in now, not in three hours from now when the ice cream is set.  Then, since my world practically revolves around cookies I thought,  "I can make Rocky Road cookies!" Brilliant.  And, I even had everything I needed to make cookies! A new favorite was born.

Print Recipe

Rocky Road Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3.9 oz box of chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup Kraft marshmallow bits

Preheat oven to 350˚ F. In a mixing bowl or Kitchen Aid combine the butter, shortening, sugar, and brown sugar.  


Beat for 2 minutes until all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture starts to look creamy.  


(My new Kitchen Aid I got for Christmas!!!)

Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the pudding mix, cocoa powder and 1 egg.  


Beat well.  


Scrape the bowl again, and add the second egg and the vanilla and beat well until the mixture looks lighter and fluffy.


In a separate bowl sift together the flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. 



Add to the sugar mixture in two additions mixing only until the flour is incorporated each time.  


In the empty mixing bowl combine the chocolate chips, pecans, and marshmallow bits.  


Add to the dough and mix on low just until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.  The dough should be nice and soft and easy to work with.


Using a medium scoop evenly drop 12 rounds of dough onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  


With the palm of your hand lightly press each round to flatten.  


Bake for 9-11 minutes until puffed and cracks form on the surface of the cookies.  


Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.


Or just devour warm!


Nutty, Fudgy, Marshmallow goodness!


Makes about 3 dozen cookies (but I won't tell if you want to eat a dozen yourself!)


Who needs ice cream anyway?

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...