Monday, December 10, 2012

Chunky Cranberry Relish

I love cranberries, but I only like real cranberries.  When I eat food I want to be able to tell what it is I am eating.  This is a simple fantastic recipe that you can whip up before hand and pull out when you are ready for it.  My husband looked at me when I was making it and said "Eww."  After he tried it he said, "Ok, you were right it is good, can I have some more?"


Chunky Cranberry Relish
3 cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)
1/2 cup cranberry juice (you can also substitute apple or orange juice or even water)
1/8 tsp salt
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 Tbsp orange zest

Wash and drain the cranberries, removing any spoiled berries or foreign objects.  In a sauce pan or nonstick skillet  combine juice, sugar, salt and cinnamon, and orange zest (I add a Tbsp of fresh juice or so).  Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Cook for 1 minute.  Add the cranberries.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Boil gently over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes or until the skins pop, stirring occasionally.  Cool completely, remove cinnamon.  If desired, smash berries slightly with the back of a spoon for a thicker relish.  Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

For a softer, smoother cranberry sauce, prepare as directed, except boil gently for 20 minutes.

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...